Monday, November 21, 2011

강남구


Less than three weeks are all the remains until I embark on my journey to Seoul. Comparing it to other countries I've been to, this trip will be especially exciting. First, it is where my boyfriend comes from, and to be able to see what Korea is like will certainly add all the more to my understanding of his home country. Second, I have only an amateur's knowledge of the Korean language. It will be interesting to see what happens when I am put in a situation where I am speaking to a person who doesn't know English. Third, South Korea has only just become such a hot destination for many younger people (this includes myself, I think). And fourth, like all my visits to other countries, this will be a whole new experience to me.

For four days, we will be situated in Gangnam-gu, a rather expensive neighbourhood in Seoul well-known for its endless designer shops, celebrity sightings, plastic surgery. Strangely enough, the hotel we booked at was cheaper than staying in Myeong-dong, a more active, vibrant, and youth-driven area, with just as much fashion retails and cafés in every corner. I've only just started making a broad itinerary of places to go. I've basically planned it out in a way that we will be spending one day in each district, one day in Gwanghwamun, the next day in Myeong-dong, Namsan, and Itaewon, and so on and so forth.

I really cannot believe that in 18 days (soon to be just 2 weeks) that I will be on another adventure. Ever since I finished my exchange in Seattle and was about to tour the east coast, I've found my love for experiencing new cultures and seeing new sights that I thought that I would never have had the chance to see in my lifetime. Now, Seoul is my next destination. I have no expectations, good or bad, for South Korea. The whole point of travelling to these new places is to be enlightened.

No comments:

Post a Comment